Tuesday 22 October 2013

Losing My Way and Finding It Again.... The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron

I am a creative soul. I think we all are. I believe we all have the desire (and capacity) to be creative, no matter what the means. It can be singing, dancing, cooking, crafts, art (in any form), writing, whatever and the best thing is- you don't have to be any good at it! Being creative isn't about being perfect, it's about being free, giving yourself space to breathe, express yourself and just be in a manic world.

So with this year being as crazy as it has been I found myself with less and less time to be truly creative. I still had the occasional time to crochet but it wasn't for me. I crocheted gifts for people and I did enjoy it but there always seemed to be a deadline, a focus and I found myself crocheting with hunched shoulders and tense fingers trying to get whatever project I was making done in time. So I couldn't say it was truly relaxing!

Having finished my Access to Health course last week I've realised I need to be creative, it nourishes my soul and I need to dedicate some time to find my creative way again.

So I'm enlisting the help of this book The Artist's Way: A Course in Discovering and Recovering your Creative Self by Julia Cameron.

It's a 12 week programme that aims to help you discover and reconnect with your creativity through a number of different exercises. Although the book talks a lot about writing, its teachings apply to any craft, art or activity. Each week there is a different focus but underpinning everything are two basic activities, which remain constant throughout the 12 weeks. These are the morning pages (done everyday) and the artist's date (a weekly activity).

So I'm going to be following this programme and keeping you updated on my progress each week. If you have a copy of the book and are following it yourself, or have any words of wisdom, please leave a comment and let me know.

Love



1 comment:

  1. GR8 to see that UR doing this wonderful course-I did it years ago and found it really helpful and then I went Good Luck Darling and I think your page/site is brilliant. Lots of love and Good luck with your re-entry into your creativity. XXX

    ReplyDelete